Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My invisable illness

“Can I bring you dinner?”
“No, thanks.”

“Can I drive with you to the doctor’s appointment?”
“No, I can manage.”

“Can I come visit you to cheer you up?”
“No, not today.”

I am quite reluctant to accept help – even when in desperately need it

“Why Is It Hard To Be Helped?”

I guess because
- I'm more comfortable as a helper, but not the one being helped.
- Afraid that others will pity us or see us as weak.
- Afraid that we’ll be a burden.
- I think we should be stronger.


I know why I am the way I am... I brought up by stoic parents who never received and always gave, you see yourself automatically in the giver position. When chronic illness/ disability takes away that role, it can be very devastating.

I have learned that people WANT to help me, not out of obligation, not because we are in dire need,but because they love me. So I am learning to say "yes", I accept the help with a humble yet heavy heart.

Had a long talk with my Pastors wife and she said "Rina you have flown under the radar long enough"..I guess but so many other people need help, more help.....I guess why our family volunteers as much as we do ...I know the feeling of the unknown, and if I can remove that fear from one persons life then it makes mine so much better...

you know what they say..you live and you learn...and at the age of 40 , I am still learning...

No comments:

Gotcha Day in China ! 8/11/08

Domestic Re-Adoption..Its Official !


Feeding the Needy on Thanksgiving !